The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wananga o WaikatoThe University of Waikato - Te Whare Wananga o Waikato

Archived 2006 Calendar

To The University of Waikato Homepage Waikato Home > Calendar > 2006 Calendar > General Services
Site Index | Text Only
Waikcookie logout image

You are currently viewing the archived 2006 Calendar

Student and Academic Services

Accommodation Services

Halls of Residence
The Accommodation and Conference Services Office assists students to find accommodation in the University’s four Halls of Residences, Orchard Park, College Hall, Student Village and Bryant Hall. Orchard Park is a series of cottages where students cater for themselves. The other Halls are fully-catered although they all have flats where self-catering accommodation is available.

Full details about the Halls of Residence can be obtained from the Accommodation and Conference Services Office. Applications, which close on 1 October each year for the following year’s accommodation, must be accompanied by a $15.00 application fee. Late applications and applications made during the course of the year will be considered. Residence is for the duration of the academic year. A new application must be made if students wish to return to the Halls for the following year. A contingency deposit is required at the time of acceptance, and this is refunded, less any charges, at the end of the academic year.

Off-Campus Accommodation
The University owns a block of eight one-bedroom flats in Scotland Place (adjacent to the University) which are available to full-time graduate students. Further information concerning these flats may be obtained from the Accommodation Adviser, who is located in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office.

The Accommodation Adviser has information regarding other accommodation available in Hamilton, and is able to assist students to find private board, houses to rent, flatmates, or flats. The cost of full board in a private home is generally about $140-$150 per week around the University area, but can be less if situated further away. Flats and houses are listed in local newspapers and with rental agencies. The Accommodation Adviser can provide printouts of all types of student housing available in the University area. The room rental cost of sharing a house or flat usually ranges between $70-$80 per week per person.

To avoid major difficulties in finding accommodation, students are advised, if possible, to visit the University prior to the commencement of the academic year to discuss their needs with the Accommodation Adviser.

Student Support Services

Student Counselling Service
Counselling staff are located in the Student Services building. Appointments may be made for counselling on any personal, study-related or vocational issue. Seminars are also offered in these areas. Enquiries and appointments may be made in person at the Student Services Reception, or by phoning the Receptionist on (07) 838-4201. A part-time Counsellor is available at the Tauranga campus. Appointments can be made at Reception or by phoning (07) 577-0620.

An Ecumenical (Interdenominational) Chaplain works part-time on campus, and a part-time Catholic Chaplain visits the University regularly. The Chaplains conduct services, take part in both formal and informal activities on campus, and are readily available to students and staff for counselling and pastoral care. The centre for chaplaincy activities is the Lady Goodfellow Chapel.

Students with Disability
The Disability Support Service works with the rest of the University to remove barriers to learning for students with disability, and to ensure students’ learning requirements are being met through the provision of information, support, services and equipment. Prospective students with disability should contact the Disability Support Service well in advance of commencing their studies to ensure that the appropriate supports are able to be put in place.

Additional information about support and services is available from the Disability Support Service office in the Student Services Building. Telephone: (07) 838-4719, Facsimile: (07) 838-4282, Email: or via the website

Budget Advice and Emergency Financial Assistance
A free budgeting and financial advisory service is available to students. The Student Finance Adviser, who is located in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office, can assist with information on the costs involved in attending University and the various means of financial support available to students.

Emergency assistance is available to students experiencing severe short-term financial difficulties. This may take the form of a loan or emergency grant. A Special Assistance Fund may be available to provide grants and loans to students who can demonstrate particular need for assistance in meeting an unexpected cost as a result of their studies. Application forms are available from the Student Finance Adviser in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office.

Student Health Service
The Student Health Service is located in the Student Services building (opposite the Recreation Centre) and is staffed by four medical practitioners, four nurses and a Practice Manager. The Student Health Service is open between 8.30am and 5.00pm on weekdays throughout the year. During examination periods the Student Health Service is open until 6.00pm on weekdays and from 8.30am-5.30pm on Saturdays for examination-related issues only.

In cases of genuine emergency, students who consult a general practitioner outside Health Service hours may have the fee partly reimbursed. This emergency service applies within the Hamilton boundaries and during the academic year.

The Student Health Service is available free to those students who pay the Health and Counselling Levy. Students are eligible to use the Student Health Service between the following dates:

Summer School enrolment only 9 January 2006 to 22 February 2006

A Semester enrolment only 27 February 2006 to 24 June 2006

B Semester enrolment only 10 July 2006 to 23 December 2006

With proof of re-enrolment, full year or B Semester students are eligible to use the Student Health Service until the end of February of the following year.

Careers and Employment Centre
The Careers and Employment Centre Office is located in the Cowshed (opposite the Student Union Building). Staff are available to discuss career prospects and help students make their career choices. Visits by employers are arranged throughout the year, and an annual Careers Fair is held which promotes students to future employers. Students are encouraged to check the Careers website for details of workshops, seminars and employer visits.

Class Representative System
The University is committed to strong and effective representation from its students. The Class Representative System has been developed to ensure that student views are reflected through involvement in University processes and participation on University committees where decisions affecting students are made. Student representatives on University committees are either elected through the Class Representative System, or are appointed by the Waikato Students’ Union.

Class Representatives are elected to deal with minor academic matters which arise, and their role is to liaise between the students in the paper and the academic staff who are teaching the paper. They also have the opportunity to participate in the democratic processes of the University.

The Student Support Adviser provides training for Class Representatives and develops resources to assist them in fulfilling their roles. The Adviser, who is located in the Office of Student Life in the Student Services Building (opposite the Recreation Centre), is also available to provide information, advice and support for Class Representatives and for members of staff who deal with Class Representatives.

The Student Support Adviser can be contacted on extension 6264.

Student Recruitment and Enrolment

Course Advice and Planning
The Student Recruitment Office assists students who are unfamiliar with the University or who require assistance to plan their programme of study. Prospective students can obtain information from the Student Information Centre by phone (0800 WAIKATO or (07) 838-4176), email (, or in person by calling in to the Hamilton campus (The Gateway), the Tauranga campus (Durham Street), or the Auckland Office (The Strand Arcade, Queen Street).

The Student Recruitment Advisers represent the University at regional careers expos, secondary school career evenings, and other events throughout New Zealand. They provide comprehensive information, personal advice sessions and campus tours, which are available by appointment. An Open Day and several information days and evenings are held on campus throughout the year, and details are available on request. Students can explore a range of options - undergraduate study, postgraduate study, foundation and bridging courses - including those that target women, mature students and Māori. Prospective students will also receive information on the range of academic and support services that are available.

Student Information Centre - The Gateway
The Student Information Centre team provides information and advice to current and prospective students of the University of Waikato. The Student Information Centre is located downstairs in the Gateway building, University of Waikato, Gate 5, Hillcrest Road, Hamilton. This is the first point of contact for enquiries relating to admission criteria, applying to enrol, other general enrolment matters, examinations timetable and regulations, the payment of fees, handbooks for specific qualifications, ordering an academic transcript, and student ID cards. Current students can check and update their personal details through the iWaikato terminal located at the Student Information Centre. The Centre is open between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, phone 0800 WAIKATO or (07) 838-4176, or email

Postgraduate Studies Office

The Postgraduate Studies Office is responsible for all administration associated with research degrees, namely the MPhil, doctoral degrees (PhD, EdD, SJD) and higher doctorates (DLit, DSc and LLD). It supports the Postgraduate Studies Committee in the development and implementation of policy concerning postgraduate studies. It also provides information and advice to students who wish to enrol, or who are enrolled for a postgraduate degree at this University.

Detailed information for postgraduate students, including enrolment guidelines, regulations and staff research expertise, may be found on the Postgraduate Studies website at

The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wananga o Waikato
Last modified: Thu Nov 24 13:57:08 2005

Page Generated: Fri Jul 10 15:25:09 2020
This page has been reformatted for printing