[an error occurred while processing this directive] Student and Academic Services
The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato
Archived 2013 Calendar
Waikato Home Waikato Home > Calendar > 2013 Calendar > General Services

Student and Academic Services

Accommodation Services

Halls of Residence

The Accommodation and Conference Services Office assists students to find accommodation in the University’s four Halls of Residences, Orchard Park, College Hall, Student Village and Bryant Hall. Orchard Park is a series of cottages where students cater for themselves. The other Halls are fully-catered although they all have flats where self-catering accommodation is available.

Full details about the Halls of Residence can be obtained from the Accommodation and Conference Services Office. Applications, which can be made online, close on 1 October each year for the following year’s accommodation. Late applications and applications made during the course of the year will be considered. Residence is for the duration of the academic year. A new application must be made if students wish to return to the Halls for the following year. A contingency deposit is required at the time of acceptance, and this is refunded, less any charges, at the end of the academic year.

Off-Campus Accommodation

The University owns a block of eight one-bedroom flats in Scotland Place (adjacent to the University) which are available to full-time graduate students. Further information concerning these flats may be obtained from the Accommodation Adviser, who is located in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office.

The Accommodation Adviser has information regarding other accommodation available in Hamilton, and is able to assist students to find private board, houses to rent, flatmates, or flats. The cost of full board in a private home is generally about $140-$150 per week around the University area, but can be less if situated further away. Flats and houses are listed in local newspapers and with rental agencies. The Accommodation Adviser can provide printouts of all types of student housing available in the University area. The room rental cost of sharing a house or flat usually ranges between $95 and $105 per week per person.

To avoid major difficulties in finding accommodation, students are advised, if possible, to visit the University prior to the commencement of the academic year to discuss their needs with the Accommodation Adviser.

Student Support Services

International Student Support

The International Student Support team advises and assists international students by identifying their needs, helping them find solutions, and directing them to appropriate services on and off campus. This includes personal issues, academic support, medical and travel insurance, student visa and permit requirements, orientation, accommodation, and general concerns. Orientation programmes are run for all new international students prior to beginning their studies and regular information sessions are run throughout the academic year. During office hours we have a student lounge with computer access for international students’ use. International Student Advisers are available to see students and appointments can be made at Waikato International; phone +64 7 838-4176, email [email protected].

Student Counselling Service

Counselling staff are located in the Student Services building. Appointments may be made for counselling on any personal, study-related or vocational issue. Seminars are also offered in these areas. Enquiries and appointments may be made in person at the Student Health Service or by phoning the Receptionist on (07) 838-4037. A Counsellor is available in Tauranga at the Windermere campus. Appointments can be made at Reception or by phoning (07) 577-0620.


An Ecumenical (Interdenominational) Chaplain works on campus, and a part-time Catholic Chaplain visits the University regularly. The Chaplains conduct services, take part in both formal and informal activities on campus, and are readily available to students and staff for counselling and pastoral care. The centre for chaplaincy activities is the Lady Goodfellow Chapel.

Students with Disability

The Disability Support Service works with the rest of the University to remove barriers to learning for students with disability, and to ensure students’ learning requirements are being met through the provision of information, support, services and equipment. Prospective students with disability should contact the Disability Support Service well in advance of commencing their studies to ensure that the appropriate supports are able to be put in place. Staff travel to the Windermere campus to meet with Tauranga students on request.

Additional information about support and services is available from the Disability Support Service office in the Student Services Building. Telephone: (07) 838-4719, Facsimile: (07) 838-4282, Email: [email protected] or via the website www.waikato.ac.nz/disability.

Budget Advice and Emergency Financial Assistance

A free budgeting and financial advisory service is available to students. The Student Finance Adviser, who is located in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office, can assist with information on the costs involved in attending University and the various means of financial support available to students.

Emergency assistance is available to students experiencing severe short-term financial difficulties. This may take the form of a loan or emergency grant. A Special Assistance Fund may be available to provide grants and loans to students who can demonstrate particular need for assistance in meeting an unexpected cost as a result of their studies. Application forms are available from the Student Finance Adviser in the Accommodation and Conference Services Office.

Student Health Service

The Student Health Service is located in the Student Services building (opposite the Recreation Centre) and is staffed by four medical practitioners, four nurses and a Practice Manager. The Student Health Service is open between 8.30am and 5.00pm on weekdays throughout the year. During examination periods the Student Health Service is open until 6.00pm on weekdays and from 8.30am-5.30pm on Saturdays for examination-related issues only.

In cases of genuine emergency, students who consult a general practitioner outside Health Service hours may have the fee partly reimbursed. This emergency service applies within the Hamilton boundaries and during the academic year.

The Student Health Service is available to all students who pay the Student Services Levy. Domestic students who are not enrolled with the Student Health Service but have a Community Services Card will be charged a fee of $20.00 for each visit. Domestic students who are not enrolled with the Student Health Service and do not have a Community Services Card will be charged a fee of $35.00 per visit. Other ancillary charges may also apply. Students are eligible to use the Student Health Service between the following dates:

Summer School 1 enrolment only   7 January 2013 to 24 February 2013
A Semester enrolment only   25 February 2013 to 23 June 2013
B Semester enrolment only   8 July 2013 to 3 November 2013
Summer School 2 enrolment only   4 November 2013 to 13 December 2013

With proof of re-enrolment, full year or B Semester students are eligible to use the Student Health Service until the beginning of A semester in 2013.

Careers and Employment Centre

The Careers Office is located in the Student Services building. Staff are available to discuss career prospects and help students make their career choices. Visits by employers are arranged throughout the year, and a series of Careers Fairs are held which promote students to future employers. Students are encouraged to check the Careers website www.waikato.ac.nz/sasd/careers for details of workshops, seminars and employer visits.

Class Representative System

The University is committed to strong and effective representation from its students. The Class Representative System has been developed to ensure that student views are reflected through involvement in University processes and participation on University committees where decisions affecting students are made. Student representatives on University committees are elected through the Class Representative System.

Class Representatives are elected to deal with minor academic matters which arise, and their role is to liaise between the students in the paper and the academic staff who are teaching the paper. They also have the opportunity to participate in the democratic processes of the University.

The Student Support Adviser provides training for Class Representatives and develops resources to assist them in fulfilling their roles. The Adviser, who is located in the Office of Student Life in the Student Services Building (opposite the Recreation Centre), is also available to provide information, advice and support for Class Representatives and for members of staff who deal with Class Representatives.

The Student Support Advisor can be contacted on 07 856-2889 Ext. 8221

Student Administration

The Student Administration team provides information and advice to current and prospective students of the University of Waikato. Student Administration is located at the Student Centre, Level 2 of the Library, University of Waikato, Gate 5, Hillcrest Road, Hamilton. This is the first point of contact for enquiries relating to admission criteria, applying to enrol, other general enrolment matters, examinations timetable and regulations, the payment of fees, handbooks for specific qualifications, ordering an academic transcript, and student ID cards. Current students can check and update their personal details through the iWaikato terminal located at the Student Information Centre. The Centre is open between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, phone 0800 WAIKATO (0800 924 528) or (07) 838-4370, or email [email protected]. Tauranga students can also obtain this information at the Windermere campus.

Postgraduate Studies Office

The Postgraduate Studies Office is responsible for all administration associated with research degrees, namely the MPhil, doctoral degrees (PhD, EdD, and SJD) and higher doctorates (DLit, DSc, and LLD). It supports the Postgraduate Research Committee in the development and implementation of policy concerning postgraduate studies. It also provides information and advice to students who wish to enrol, or who are enrolled, for a postgraduate degree at this University.

Detailed information for postgraduate students, including enrolment guidelines, regulations and staff research expertise, may be found on the Postgraduate Studies website: www.waikato.ac.nz/sasd/postgraduate.